Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Printable Place Value Slider


On previous blog posts, I have shared some ideas on learning about numbers and place value as well as sharing my printable place value game to show some different ways we have used to learn about two and three digit numbers. I have since adapted one of my earlier resources, the Place Value Slider, to include four digit numbers.  


I originally got the idea of making a place value slider from here and made a three digit place value slider (pictured below). I can honestly say that it has helped my son really understand two and three digit numbers. 

 
To make our four digit slider, we used our printable template and cut out the number strips and place value card then glued it onto some cardboard (picture below). We also had an extra piece of cardboard cut to the same size as the place value card. 


The next thing we did was to do is to cut out a window on the place value card and make it the same size (or there about) as one number square on the number strip. I made a mistake in laminating the place value card BEFORE cutting out the window and trust me, it doesnt slide as well if done this way. So once you have cut out the windows, laminate the numbers strips, place value card and the extra cardboard piece. 


Once all the items are laminated and cut, you can then put it together. We found that using staples were the best way how to hold the pieces of cardboard together. We lined up the number strip with the window that we had cut out of the place value card. This gave us an idea of where to place the staples so the number card could still slide back and forwards. We then stapled the place value card and the extra piece of cardboard together (as backing) on either side of the number strip. We put two staples at the top and two more at the bottom so that the strip can slide through easily (see picture below). 


If you liked my Place Value Sliders, I have them available for you to download (both of them) as well as the Place Value Slider - Number Strips.

For more ideas on place value and other math concepts, visit my pinterest board.


for details click below

No comments:

Post a Comment